Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'd like to share a few ideas/experiments briefly before I start on my work. Gp class was quite an eye-opener for the fact that it developed a little interest in me for the political scene. I guess the only reason why I didn't like it in the past was because nobody was there to help me take the first step, to motivate me to research further.


Anyway, we were showed some videos of two social experiments, "the milgram experiment" and "the third wave". (click on the links)

(Wikipedia might not be a very credible source but it'll do)

The Milgram experiment measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authoritative figure who instructed them to perform acts that conflicted with their personal conscience. Devised by a psychologist Stanley Milgram to answer the question as to why many Nazi soldiers still killed people during the Holocaust despite the fact that all humans should have a sense of morality, the results of the experiment suggested that it could have been that the millions of accomplices were merely following orders, despite violating their deepest moral beliefs.

The third wave was to demonstrate the appeal of fascism. It wasn't documented in detail but there was a film based on it. I'll write more about it if I've got the time but since I'm not THAT interested in that one, I might as well use the time on other things.


One last one experiment, Mary's room. Its a proposed thought experiment that attempts to establish that there are non-physical properties and attainable knowledge that can be discovered through conscious experience.

"In other words, Jackson's Mary is a scientist who knows everything there is to know about the science of color, but has never experienced color. The question that Jackson raises is: once she experiences color, does she learn anything new?"

No comments: